Local History Photos

Digital History2


Digital History2

The July 1923 Ypsilanti Centennial celebrating the city of Ypsilanti's 100th anniversary. John S. Miller took this photograph of the Rotary and Kiwanis officers arriving by stage coach from Detroit. The stage coach was driven from Detroit City Hall to Ypsilanti on the old territorial road, now Michigan Avenue. As they passed through Dearborn they were high-jacked and forced to attend a banquet in their honor before continuing on to Ypsilanti. The Photo Archives collection also contains more than 50 photographs of the Centennial Celebration. Read more about Ypsilanti History in Photographs in Ypsilanti Gleanings.

Keywords:



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ypsilanti Historical Society

| Report Problem

Michigan State Normal College – 1940


Michigan State Normal College – 1940

Michigan State Normal College – 1940 – The tree line running from west to east, marks the creek: 1) Gymnasium (demolished): 2) Old Pierce Hall, also known as Old Main (demolished); 3) Snow Health Center, later Department of Music classrooms (demolished); 4) Zwergel’s Book Store(demolished); 5) Rackham School; 6) Roosevelt High School, now classrooms and offices.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ypsilanti Historical Society
Related:
Ypsilanti’s Own “Legend of Sleepy Hollow"


| Report Problem

The Norris Home


The Norris Home

The Norris home that was built on River Street near the Huron River in c1833.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ypsilanti Historical Society
Related:
The Parents of Depot Town - Mark & Roccena Vail Norris


| Report Problem

Ypsilanti Mineral Water Advertisement


Ypsilanti Mineral Water Advertisement

Claims were made that Natural Mineral Water successfully cured a variety of diseases.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ypsilanti Historical Society
Related:
Ypsilanti's Mineral Water Sanitariums


| Report Problem

Mrs. Mark Norris, Mrs. Benjamin Follett, Lucy Uhl and Mrs. Ed. Uhl.


Mrs. Mark Norris, Mrs. Benjamin Follett, Lucy Uhl and Mrs. Ed. Uhl.

(left to right) Mrs. Mark Norris, Mrs. Benjamin Follett, Lucy Uhl and Mrs. Ed. Uhl.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ypsilanti Historical Society
Related:
The River Street Saga Continues: Benjamin and Elvira Norris Follett


| Report Problem

The Towner House


The Towner House

The Towner House showing the additions that were added over the years to the original structure.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ypsilanti Historical Society
Related:
The Towner House: A Diamond in the Rough


| Report Problem

Burger Chef, 309 East Michigan Avenue


Burger Chef, 309 East Michigan Avenue

In July of 1962 the Thorne Tire Store building was demolished to make way for a Burger Chef drive-in restaurant.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ypsilanti Historical Society
Related:
The King and Meyer Saloon Controversy


| Report Problem

Andrew Ballard


Andrew Ballard

Andrew Ballard opened a store in Ypsilanti in 1828 with Levi Cook. He helped form the Ypsilanti Vigilance Committee in 1838 and served as Mayor of Ypsilanti in 1859.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ypsilanti Historical Society
Related:
Ypsilanti Vigilance Committee – 1838


| Report Problem

The Ypsilanti Historical Museum, 220 North Huron Street


The Ypsilanti Historical Museum, 220 North Huron Street

A view of the front of the Museum showing the named bricks placed alongside and across the sidewalk.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ypsilanti Historical Society
Related:
From the President's Desk


| Report Problem

Frog Island, 1865


Frog Island, 1865

A bird’s eye view of Frog Island in 1865.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ypsilanti Historical Society
Related:
The History of Frog Island Park – The Island That is Not an Island


| Report Problem