Historic East Side Association Walking Tour

Published In:
Ypsilanti Gleanings, April 1983,
April 1983
Original Images:

Our friends of the Historic East Side Association are sponsoring a WALKING TOUR on Sunday, May 8th and Saturday, May 14th. Walks will leave every ten minutes between 2 PM and 4 PM from the old passenger depot at the corner of East Cross and River Streets. It is free and more information is available from Sherry Tafini at 484—3425.













Children's Valentine-Making Party

Published In:
Ypsilanti Gleanings, January 1983,
January 1983
Original Images:

will be held on Sunday, February 13th from 2 PM til 4 PM.

Ypsilanti Historical Museum
220 North Huron Street

(Children must be accompanied by an Adult.)









Advertisement for Purchase of Bound Atlas

Published In:
Ypsilanti Gleanings, March 1992,
March 1992
Original Images:

Proudly offers once again this treasury of early history and genealogical source material.

It is a truly magnificent volume containing 264 pages. Every detail is included: the Township maps, the Cities and Villages of the County; the old engravings of the handsome farms, business places and pictures of the early settlers as well as many who came later; Chelsea, Milan, Manchester, Saline, Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti and several small communities long forgotten.

The old Atlases are much sought but fast disappearing. The present new publication is offered to you so you may appreciate and be astounded by the fascinating early days of your community.

One of the plus factors of this publication is the names of landowners transcribed on their farms in each of the townships. You can see where “grandpa lived and worked”.

The size is generous, 11″ x 14″, but not unwieldly. This publication is Class A Library bound in heavy duty, long lasting peroxylin coated library buckram and handsomely stamped in gold. It will truly share space with your most prized literary treasures!

LIMITED EDITION

BEAUTIFULLY BOUND

ORDER FORM

Name

Address

City/State

Zip

No. copies Total

$40.00

Total for Books

shipping @ $4.00 ea. book

TOTAL AMOUNT DUE

Please indicate method of delivery:

I will pick up my book(s) at the museum after November 10, 1991.

Mail my book(s) to me. (Be sure to include shipping charges if book(s) should be mailed.)

Mail your order and check to:

Ypsilanti Historical Society 220 North Huron St. Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197

Nuggets

Published In:
Ypsilanti Gleanings, December 1981,
December 1981
Original Images:

An Ad in the August 12, 1876 “Commercial” —

University of Michigan-Department of Medicine & Surgery

The 27th Annual Course of lectures will commence October 2nd, 1876.

Course separate but equal for women.

Metriculation Fees--Residents of Michigan $10.00; non-Residents $25.00.

Annual Dues-Residents $15; Non-Residents $20.00 Graduation Fee-For all alike $15.

Send for circular and catalogue A.B. Palmer, M.D. Dean-Ann Arbor, Michigan


Annual Report of the Inspectors of the State Prisons-1875

Under the most adverse circumstances, the Prison has been self-supporting the past year. Washtenaw County furnished 5 inmates during 1875. The number from the entire State 391. Only one school teacher, one Bank Cashier, one Journalist and one Preacher.

YHS Calendar

Published In:
Ypsilanti Gleanings, October 1981,
October 1981
Original Images:

October 25th
Ypsilanti Historical Society Annual Dinner Meeting to be held at the Masonic Temple.
Information on tickets and reservations will be available soon. Save the date for a wonderful dinner and an interesting speaker!

December 13th
Ypsilanti Historical Society Christmas Party 2-5 PM
This is a Special time to share a Victorian Christmas in this charming and elegant house.








Early History of the Banks of Ypsilanti

Published In:
Ypsilanti Gleanings, October 1979,
October 1979
Original Images:














Author: Dorothy A. Disbrow

On April 1, 1864 the following article appeared in THE YPSILANTI TRUE DEMOCRAT published by C.R. Pattison. The name of the paper was soon changed to THE COMMERCIAL.

Our readers cannot faill to have noticed from our advertising columns, that we have a BANK in Ypsilanti. A National Bank. It is a business desideratum, such needed in this city. The controllers of this institution are men of character and ability. There are, in every instance, successful business men. Men who have made themselves that they are, by dint of business tact and energy.

The President of the Bank, Asa Dow, is from Chicago, also the Vice President, D.L.Quirk. They have recently become citizens of our city. They have invested largely in real estate-hence, interested in growth of the place.

The cashier, Mr. Benjamin Follett, is a self-made businessman. For the encouragement of our young men, we are told he was once a carrier boy in a printing office in Western New York. He has a state reputation as a business man. His name, to any enterprise is a sufficient guarantee of success.

The Directors of the Bank are all men of well-known financial soundness. A good Bank is a credit to any community in a financial point of view. Our merchants and business men will consolidate their interests by patronizing the Bank. We have full faith that they will do it. As a proof that this Bank is intended for a permanent Ypsilanti institution, its controllers worth the inspection of the curious. It is a safe within a safe. The outer one stand 6 feet high, on where there is a Yale's Lock, fireproof. The doors are adorned with picturesque natural scenery. Inside of this is a money or burgler's safe, made of hardened steel and iron, in layers of different sizes. This is burglar proof, impervious to drill, and is guarded by Covert's patent combination lock, at an expense of $250. It has a highly finished plated handles. The cost of the safe is $1,025.00 and weighs 6800 lbs.

In the same issue, on page four, there is an advertisement for the First National Bank, which reads:

FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF YPSILANTI-capital $62,500-Directors: Asa Dow, Daniel L. Quirk, Rob't Hemphill, Cornelius Cornwell, Isaac N. Conklin, Benj. Follett-Officers-Asa Dow, President, D.L.Quirk, Vice President, Benjamin Follett, Cashier.

Ypsilanti, January 5, 1864

This Bank, organized under the law of Congress is this day opened for business. The disadvantages which business men and others have labored under for want of sufficient banking Capital and the dependence we have been upon other states for a circulating medium, are among the inducements the Stockholders have for engaging in this enterprise. With a Board of Directors composed of successful business men, well known in the community, and who have a thorough knowledge of the interests of our locality, with ample means in capital and deposits, we think we offer assurances of ability to conduct a safe and reliable banking institution-one that will merit a fair share of business and be entitled to the full confidence of the public.

Treasury Department
Office of the Comptroller
of the Currency

Washington, December 14, 1863

Whereas: By Satisfactory evidence presented to the undersigned, it has been made to appear that “The First National Bank of Ypsilanti” in the county of Washtenaw and State of Michigan has been duly organized under and according to the requirements of the act of Congress entitled, “An Act to Provide a National Currency”. Secured by a pledge of the United States Stocks and provide for the Circulation and Redemption thereof approved February 24, 1863 a has complied with all the revisions of said act required to be complied with before commencing the business of banking.

Now there, I, Hugh McCulloch, Comptroller of the Currency, do hereby certify, that the said First National Bank of Ypsilanti, County of Washtenaw and State of Michigan is authorized to commence the business of Banking under the act a foresaid. In testimony whereof, witness my hand and seal of office this fourteenth day of December. 1863.


HUGH McCULLOCH
Comptroller of the Currency

The National Bank was first located in the first floor of the brick building at 130 W. Michigan.

From the HISTORY OF WASHTENAW COUNTY by Chapman, (published 1881), we find that the BANK OF YPSILANTI was chartered by a special act of the Legislature, approved March 28, 1836.

The Corporators were: Henry Compton, Arden H. Ballard, Marcus Lane, Mark Norris, Silas French and Grove Spencer, with Timothy Treadwell, President and David Balantine, Cashier. In May of 1837 Benjamin Follett became cashier. The capitol stock of the bank was $100,000 in shares of $50 each, of which ten per cent was payable in specie at once and the balance when the directors might ordain. For three years this bank carried on a large business. Mr. F. Bogardus, the author of the article in this book says:

During these three years, it was undoubtedly a great help to the few business men then flourishing in our young village; but at this time the stock changed hands being controlled by Lewis Goddard and his associates, and the institution, after their three year's administration was in such a condition that the Attorney General of the State was obliged to throw it into bankrupcy, and wind up its business.

The next bank to appear in Ypsilanti was the HURON RIVER BANK, organized in 1838 under the ‘wild cat’ general banking law. The stockholders were: A H. Ballard, Henry Compton, James M. Edmunds, Gilbert Shattuck, Richard E. Morse and Leonard Osgood.

From HISTORY OF BANKING AND BANKS AND BANKERS OF MICHIGAN (Vol 11) by Emery Wendell, we learn about “wild cat banks” and “wild cat banking”. After the War of 1812 surveyers came into Michigan to report on the land for farming and homesteading. The reports they sent back described Michigan as an unbroken series of swamps, bogs and sand dunes with very little land fit for cultivation. It turned out that some of the old French settlers were responsible for these reports. They depended on and lived by the fur trade and were not anxious to have fur-bearing animals driven off by cutting down the forests for farms and villages. When surveyors came into the territory the settlers entertained them hospitably, volunteered to serve as guides, and then took them into almost impossible marshes and sent them away with a very bad impression of the capabilities of Michigan as a settlement. So soldiers' bounty lands were located in Illinois and Missouri and northern Indiana and not in Michigan. However, the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825 meant a change for Michigan. Canal boats connecting with steamers on the lakes, made travel relatively easy and economical, and the emigrants came swarming in. In 1810 the population of Michigan was 4,762 and in 1837 up to 175,169.

Mr. Wendell says:

The rapid increase in population, and the equally rapid taking up of lands, aroused a spirit of wild speculation, especially in real estate. It was not all uncommon for a speculator to hunt up a mill site, or other supposedly good location for a village or city, purchase an ‘eighty’ or a quarter section from the Government, at $1.25 per acre, make a plat showing the river and mill site, the water lots, a public square, a good location for a court house and other public buildings, for every paper city was to be a county seat. Then the plat was taken around to business men and advertised in the papers and lots went off at five to fifteen dollars each. Many of the paper villages and cities, thus laid out and sold at that time, are swamp and farm lands to this day.

When the Legislature of 1837 met in Detroit there were already fifteen chartered banks in the State. However, the chartered banks were too careful about their loans and security to suit the ‘comman man’ and these people complained the chartered banks were ‘souless corporations’ for the privileged classes. So on March 15, 1837, the “Act to Organize and Regulate Banking Associations” was passed. “Under this law any twelve persons, residents of the State, desirous of establishing a bank, were at liberty to meet, open banks and subscribe to the capital stock of such bank. A majority of the subscribers authorized a call of a meeting for choosing officers. At this meeting nine Directors were to be chosen by the stock holders, after all the preliminary provisions of the Act had been complied with, and the Directors were authorized to choose one of their number PRESIDENT. The stock holders were constituted a body corporate, subject to like general laws govering in the other corporations. A majority of the Directors were to manage the affairs of the association. All of the Directors were required to be residents of the State, and at lease five of them residents of the County where the business of the association was to be transcribed”.

The HURON RIVER BANK began its flood of promises to pay in 1838 with Arden Ballard as President and Myron V. Hall, Cashier. The redemption of these notes was secured by mortgages on real estate property at one half its value. The bank, on the word of its President, claimed ownership to a large section of timber land thirty miles from Detroit. The bank prospered for about eighteen months and then went into bankruptcy. George M. Skinner was appointed receiver and the Supreme Court of the State declared the law under which it was created unconstitutional. Later it was found out that Arden Ballard did not have legal claim to the mortgage on the timber land because he didn't even own the property. It was the possession of the original patentee, Peppin and became the possession of his son in 1841.

The next ‘wild cat bank’ was called THE BANK OF SUPERIOR and was located in the village of Lowell. Lowell was located across the river just about where the Cornwell Paper Company was, one mile west of Ypsilanti. Promoters from the East, boldly claimed Lowell would grow faster and become larger than Ypsilanti. The Directors of The Bank of Superior were: John VanFossen, President and James M. Edmunds, Cashier. The stockholder's roll had the names of Arden H. Ballard, John VanFossen, J.M. Edmunds and A. Wilbur. In his article in THE HISTORY OF WASHTENAW COUNTY MR. Bogardus says:

This ‘wild cat’ had neither claws nor tail. Attempting to give the stereotype security on real estate, it was found that, valuable as that real estate ought to be, the titles to it were so defective that no upon it for redemption. However, about 300 of its notes were stolen and put in circulation. This was so great a blow upon its assets, that it ceased all further attempts to benefit our local public.

In 1852 Denjamin Follett, Isaac N. Conklin and Samuel Y. Denton organized under the firm name of “Follett, Conklin & Co.”. They opened their bank in the second story of a building on East Cross near the depot. In 1853 S.Y. Denton withdrew and his place was taken by Charles H. Tisdale. In 1854 they moved to the Hewitt Block (now 130 W. Michigan Avenue). In 1862 their partnership was dissolved.

In 1862 Benjamin Follett and R.W. Hemphill formed a partnership under the title “B. Follett & Co.”. This firm lasted until 1865 when it became “Cornwell, Hemphill and Company”.

In 1860 the firm of “E and F.P. Bogardus” was started. In February of 1867 they consolidated their interests with those of the First National Bank. An article in the February 2 1867 issue of THE COMMERCIAL has this to say about the merger of the Bogardus Bank with the First National:

The Banking firm of E. and F.P.Bogardus, has merged into the First National Bank. The Bank has purchased the building (at 121 Congress), and so becomes a fixture. The firm of E. and F.P.Bogardus was a strong one. By its facilities for business, popularity of its proprietors, and their well known integrity, it had secured a large degree of public confidence. The National Bank was also in a prosporous condition. The union makes one of the strongest Banks in the country. I.N.Conklin is elected President. Mr. Conklin has long been known in this community, as a man of the strictest integrity financially one of our safest men. F. P. Bogardus is elected Cashier. Frank has won golden opinions as a banker and a citizen. Mr. C.N. Gansen, affable and accomodating will still be seen behind the counter.

We predict a largely increased patronage and usefulness as a result of the combination.

Benjamin Follett, born in Batavia, New York in 1819 came to Ypsilanti in 1838 and died while on a visit to Elmire, New York on January 10, 1865. In THE HISTORY OF WASHTENAW COUNTY Mr. Bogardus has this to say about Benjamin Follett and his long banking career.

Benjamin Follett's name alone has been carried down from the days of the ‘Ballard Banks’ to the present day, as the only survivor of all the wild speculation of the past. Bntering the Ypsilanti Bank as cashier, a few days after his arrival in Michigan, and while still under the age of eighteen years, he learned much of the evil system, so that when the time for reformation arrived he was the first to see a means of establishing a bona fide concern, which would prove profitable to its projects and patrons alike. In 1852 he established an interest and deposit bank, and from such a cautious beginning comes the well managed First National Bank of Ypsilanti.

In THE TRUE DEMOCRAT for January 20 1865 there is a most interesting article on the NATIONAL BANKS, and a portion of this is quoted below:

…It is a credit to our town that we have a National Bank and one so ably conducted. Mr. I.N. Conklin, known as a safe business man, succeeds Mr. Follett as Cashier. Mr. C. N. Ganson, who has won the confidence of our community, in every respect a gentleman and long conversant with the banking business, still continues to preside at the counter of the bank. The signs all indicate that the National Banking System is to prevail. It is speedily destined to drive the State and individual banks out of existence. According to the report of the Comptroller of the Currency, there are now 581 associations or National Banks. We have 15 in Michigan. Prior to the organization of these banks we had three banks in Detroit, a suspicious institution in Marshall, and a rickety concern at Grand Rapids. The Detroit banks had a limited circulation, naturally preferring a circulation at a distance than at home. And here is the benefit of the National Banking System being of a uniform character throughout the whole country. There is no obect in seeking circulation abroad, rather than at home, thus in the agregate saving thousands of dollars annually in the pockets of the people…

We cannot close this article without giving the merited meed of praise to Salmon P. Chase, the originator of this National Banking System. His fame is to eclipse that of Hamilton and Jay. Identified with the regeneration of America from a corrupt banking system, and from the most debasing and wicken system of wrong and appression the world ever saw, his name will go down to posterity with thickening honor; and among the proudest monuments reared by future generations, will be that one reared to the immortal fame of America's greatest financier, statesman and jurist-Salmon P. Chase.

In 1870 the officers of THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK were as follows: Directors, I.N. Conklin, D.L. Quirk, E. Bogardus, E.D. Norris, E. Morton. President, E. Bogardus, Vice President, D.L. Quirk and cashier, F.P. Bogardus.

In 1873 there was a money panic and THE COMMERCIAL of October 4th of that year has this to say:

THE PANIC. In Ypsilanti proved to be no panic. A few ere alarmed and drew out their money. The major part of the depositers were content with the standing of our banks. Or, if they had a solicitude, they refrained from pursuing a course that could only prove detrimental to themselves.

Another article about the ‘panic’ appeared in the October 25th issue and advises that “one of the officers of the National Bank states that they took decisive measures and were prepared to pay every dollar of their deposits. We have the same assurance in regard to CORNWELL AND HEMPHILL'S BANK”.

In 1865-66 the Cornwell-Hemphill bank became the successor of the Follett-Hemphill Bank and it seemed to be prospering. However, the ‘panic of 1872’ must have been more of a financial punishment to their resources than anyone realized for Ypsilantians read with sorrow the sad news of December 23, 187 from THE COMMERCIAL.

The suspending of Cornwell-Hemphill & Co. Tuesday morning took everybody by surprise. We simply chronicle the fact. The amount of liabilities we do not know and shall await an authorized statement. The reason for making an assignment we do not know further than when parties owe more than they have ready means to pay they are likely to go under. It is the belief of their friends that if they were given time and permitted to weather the storm, the bank will pay very nearly if not quite dollar for dollar. In the mean time the creditors and depositors can only wait developments and hope for the best. It is for the interest of Ypsilantians to give them every possible leeway.

And on the 30th of December 1876 this article appeared:-

THE SUSPENDED BANKING FIRM, STATE OF THE ASSIGNEES (WE GIVE HEREWITH THE STATE OF THE ASSIGNEES, MESSRS NINDE AND CUTCHEON). Our readers will discover that the assets are $8, 144.50 in excess of the liabilities. If the paper mills can be retained by the firm, and kept running, every creditor will get his dues, dollar for dollar. To this end, every creditor and depositor can do no better than to take the preferred stock mentioned below, on which the company guarantees a semi-annual dividend of four per cent. It is for the interest of all concerned to rally around and sustain the firm. It has done much for Ypsilanti. A large number of employees are dependent for their daily bread upon the running of the mills.

Ypsilanti, Mich. Dec. 28, 1876

TO THE CREDITORS OF CORNWELL, HEMPHILL & CO.

The condition of the Banking House of Cornwell, Hemp-hill & Co., when their affairs came into our hands, is shown by the following statement.

Assets

Furniture (including valut and safe) $3,000.00
Stockes and Bonds $15,000.00
Mills Receivable $68,104.08
Over drafts 2,553.76
In Bank 1,076.79
16-25 Fair Groun ds 2,800.00
Total $94,514.63

Liabilities

Due Depositors $85,1.78
Due Banks 1,068.35
$86.370.13

This statement exhibits the assets as they are represented by the books of the Company. So large a share of these assets consist of the liabilities of the Ypsilanti Paper Company, that the amount which may be realized from them depends largely on the future successful operation of the paper mills. In these stringent times, to make hasty sales and forced collections would, in our judgment, prove disastrous to the interests of the creditors, and consequently we cannot encourage them to expect an early dividend. In the meantime, the Ypsilanti Paper Co. offers to pay any liabilities of Cornwell, Hemphill & Co., in preferred stock, to be issued by the Ypsilanti Paper Company, with a guaranty of a divident of eight per cent annum. payable on 1st July and January of each year.


Thomas Ninde
S.M. Cutcheon-assignees

And a further, and final, article about this Banking Firm appeared in THE COMMERCIAL on January 27th, 1877.

Cornwell, Hemphill & Co. by the kindness and fore-bearance of their creditors are doing nobly. They are paying small depositors of monies really needed by the parties who are poor. Large depositors and medium depositors have come up manfully and taken the preferred sk of the Paper Co. Deubel Bros. took $4,000 of this stock. Mr. O.A. Ainsworth $2,500. A number of parties, creditors from $1,000 to $100 have wisely taken stock. If we had deposites, however much we wanted and need the money in hand, we should have made it a sure thing for ourself by doing so. It enables the company to pay their debts. It secures 8 per cent interest in semi-annual payments. It keeps a large manufacturing establishment employing a large number of working men above all possible chance of suspension. Not to take this stock, will, in our humble judgment, prove in the long run penny wise & pound foolish. We volunteer this opinion. We have not consulted Cornwell, Hemphill & Co. We promise they would have said, if we had, pray don't say anything for fear our creditors suspect that we had a hand in it. As honest men they must be desirous of paying their debt and they manfully came up and say, “Gentlemen, we will do the best we can by you, we will place you on a plane higher than we are, giving you the preference”. It seems to us that the creditors who have accepted this proposition will prove to be largely the gainers.

In 1879 Mr. Robert Homphill and Mr. Don Carlos Batchelder started the banking firm of HEMPHILL, BATCHELDER & CO. It was out of this business that THE YPSILANTI SAVINGS BANK was organized. The following article from HISTORY OF BANKING AND BANKS AND BANKERS OF MICHIGSN, Vol. 11 gives praise to Mr. Hemphill and the YPSILANTI SAVING BANK.

There are a number of cases among the incorporated institutions of the state where the strong impress of a single individual has been felt, and the Ypsilanti Savings Bank presents one of them. As far back as 1859 Mr. Robert Hemphill, of Ypsilanti, began his banking career with the firm of Follett & Co., of that city. This was afterwards merged in the firm of B. Follett & Co., and MR. Hemphill was taken in as a partner. In 1863 he associated himself with Cornelius Cornwell, one of the most prominent business men of the Greek-named City, and organized a private bank under the firm name of Cornwell, Hemphill & Co. This firm continued in business until 1876. Then for a few years Mr. Hemphill was associated with D.C. Batchelder in the grain and commission business in Detroit, but in 1879 organized the firm of Hemphill & Batchelder & Co., and again established a bank in Ypsilanti… He was naturally appointed cashier, a position which he has retained ever since making him one of the oldest bankers in the State in continuous service. The other officers are at the present time, (about 1900), President, A. Beyer, Vice PRESIDENT, H.P. Glover, Assistant Cashier, Charles M. Hemphill. Sullivan Cutcheon of Detroit was for a long time President of this Bank. (Cutcheon was President of the “Dime Bank”, Detroit).

This was the period of the greatest strength of “The Green-back Party”. The late D.F. Clever Bald in MICHIGAN IN FOUR CENTURIES explains the greenback problem this way:-

The Greenback Party was organized in 1876. It demanded that ‘greenbacks’ or United States Treasury Notes, issued during the Civil War as an emergency currency in the amount of $450,000.00 should remain in circulation and that more should be issued to relieve the shortage of money. Congress, however, in 1875, under the influence of ‘sound money’ interests passed a law providing for the resumption of specie payments on January 1, 1879, that is, the exchange of gold for greenbacks. A law of 1878 provided that the $346,681.16 of outstanding greenbacks should remain in circulation when Congress began to accumulate a gold fund to meet the eventual demand for exchange, greenbacks passed at par value. The policy of Congress in freezing the amount of money when industry was growing and additional cash was required was greatly to the advantage of bankers and creditors in general. Debtors who had borrowed cheap greenbacks and had to repay their depts in dearer money. For example, because of the scacity of cash reduced prices, farmers had to sell more bushels of wheat than before to pay their mortages or other debts.

And in THE MICHIGAN HISTORY MAGAZINE for June 1963, Richard M. Doolan has an article on the Greenback party in which he says:

… Political Greenbackism reached its peak in the autumn elections of 1878. Eighteen Green-backers were elected to the state legislature; and the party actually came very close to equalling the total Democratic statewide popular vote. Analysis of the returns shows that the Michigan Greenbacker's party strength was for the most part in the western and northern counties of the lower peninsula… The National Greenback's party lack of success in the older counties of the south-eastern section of Michigan may be attributed partially to that region's longer period of settlement; to its access to more abundant sources of credit and finance in nearby Detroit; and to its more diversified economic activity with, consequently, somewhat less susceptibility to the fluctuating prices of the basic cereal crops.

Ypsilantians were interested in the policies of the ‘Greenback party’ however and local and out of state lecturers appeared at the Hewitt House, Follett House and Light Guard Hall to speak on the pros and cons of this problem. The affairs were well attended and sometimes tempers were lost and shouting and name calling took place. By 1880 the cause of the party had sunk so low that the Greenback candidate for President and the candidate for Governor of Michigan each polled less than ten percent of Michigan's vote. A slightly tongue in cheek item appeared in the COMMERCIAL for April 20, 1878.

On and after the first of May next if you hold any bills of the First National Bank of this city you can have them exchanged for gold by calling at the counter of the institution. This is, the bank is going to resume specie payments as much as lies in their power. What have you to say now, Mr. Greenbacker?

On May 13, 1884 Isaac N. Conklin, President of the National Bank, died of a heart attack. His obituary in the COMMERCIAL tells us that he was born in Saulsbury, Connecticut on July 3rd, 1808 and in 1837 he and a partner came to Michigan to sell clocks.

… The clocks were largely sold on credit, and such was his sagacity that, in those early hard times, he seldom lost an account, or had a note uncollected. In 1852 he united with that eminent business man, Benjamin Follett, in the banking business. At the end of ten years Mr. Conklin assumed entire control. Two years later he, with others, the late Mr. Bogardus (E. P Bogardus died in May of 1882) and himself being the principal stockholders, organized the First National Bank. He was connected at one time with our flouring mills, was a leading owner and for a long time conductor of our woolen mills, and has had considerable stock in the paper mills. He organized the gas works in this city, and has been the main controller to the time of his death. He devoted considerable time also to farming to which he was greatly attached. Probably no man in our ever loaned as much money as Mr. Conklin. So long as he was secured, no man every exercised more lenience. A business man made the true remark: “Mr. Conklin was to the business interests of Ypsilanti as the hub to the wheel'. He was scrupulously honest. It was an inborn priciple with him… He was not a benevolent man any further than his judgment could be convinced that it was an absolute need… His nephew, Mr. F.P. Bogardus was brought up in his family.

In the May 24th issue of the same paper this article appeared:-

The late I.N. Conklin was President and had been for years of the First National Bank of this city, at the time of his death. This fact was a great strengthener of the faith of the depositors. It has able, honest and true men at its head now, men of large financial means and ability. Mr. D.L. Quirk is acting President of the First National Bank. Come down to the truth of history it would seem that the first bank in this city at the depot was established by Messrs. B. Follett, Quirk and Dow, Mr. Dow soon after went back to Chicago. (Mrs. Dow died in 1864 and it was then Dow returned to Chicago-both are buried in Highland City, Ypsilanti). Mr. Quirk has largely contributed his means to the city's advancement.

On the 28th of April 1893 the following article appeared in THE COMMERCIAL

MEN WHO DEAL IN MONEY

Each year the banks of the county file a list of their stockholders with the county clerk. From this source we are able to give the following list of those fortunate enough to own an interest in our Ypsilanti Banks. The stock of neither can be bought at par-

FIRST NATIONAL BANK

D.L. Quirk, Ypsilanti $27,000
Helen C. Swift 22,250
Ira S. Younglove, Chicago 5,000
Estate of Chas. King, Ypsilanti 3,500
C.S. Wortley, Ypsilanti $3,000
H.P. Glover 3,000
Mrs. A.M. Hemphill 200
Mrs. J. MCutcheon, Detroit 1,000
Mrs. Elsie Millard, Ypsilanti 1,000
Mrs. Jane Barnes 1,000
S.H. Dodge 1,000
Chas.S. King 1,000
D.C. Griffin 1,000
D.L. Quirk, Jr. 1,000
Mrs. Lucy H. Childs, Whittaker 500
R.P. Clark, Belleville 500
Geo. C. Bradley, Ypsilanti 500
$75,000

YPSILANTI SAVINGS BANK

Sullivan M. Cutcheon, Detroit 5,000
Lucian S. Moore 5,000
George H. Moore 5,000
Mary Ann Starkweather, Ypsilanti 5,000
Hal W. Glover 1,000
Henry Pierce Glover 19,000
Robert W. Hemhill 10,000
$50,000

Daniel Lace Quirk, Sr., so long associated with banking in Ypsilanti, died December 5, 1911. There is a short biographical article on this man in Emery Wendell's HISTORY OF BANKING AND BANKERS OF MICHIGAN, which was published before Mr. Quirk's death.

… Daniel Lace Quirk was one of the founders of the bank (First National), has been one of its leading spirits from the start and its President since 1885. He was born on the Isle of Man, Great Britain. June 15, 1818. He moved to America in 1824 and settled on a farm near Rochester, New York. There Daniel received a common school education and at the age of seventeen started to learn the carpenter and joiner's trade. In 1838 he moved to Ann Arbor, and in 1847 he purchased the mills at Belleville, Wayne Co., Michigan. In 1853 he sold out and moved to Chicago, Illinois and went into the pork packing business in Chicago. Since his settlement in Ypsilanti he has been among the most active in promoting the business interests of that municipality. In 1863 he was one of the organizers of The First National Bank at that place, and has been a Director and Vice President or President ever since. He was one of the principals in building the Wabash Railroad from Detroit to Butler, Indiana; the Hillsdale road from Ypsilanti to Hillsdale, and the Eel River Road in 1871, from Alma to Logansport. He was one of the builders of the Ypsilanti Paper Mills and Woolen Mills. In 1843 he married Miss Nancy Scott, of Lodi, who died in 1850, leaving one daughter who is the wife of Charles P. Ferrier, of Ypsilanti. In 1852 he married Miss Priscilla Frain, daughter of Henry Frain, and they have three children, Elizabeth now Mrs. Ira P. Young love of Chicago, Mrs. Jennie Quirk Pack, who lives at home and D.L. Quirk, Jr., who is cashier of the First National Bank of Ypsilanti.

References:

“The Ypsilanti True Democrat” 4/1/1864-1/20/1865

“The Commercial” 2/2/1867-10/4/1873-12/23/1876-12/30/1876-1/27/1877-4/20/1878 5/13/1884-5/24/1884-1/17/1885 4/28/1893

MICHIGAN IN FOUR CENTURIES-F. Clever Bald-Harpers 1954 “Michigan History Magazine” 1963-article on ‘Green Backs’

HISTORY OF WASHTENAW COUNTY-Chapman-1881

HISTORY OF BANKING AND BANKS AND BANKERS OF MICHIGAN (Vol 11)

Advertisement to Increase Membership

Published In:
Ypsilanti Gleanings, April 1979,
April 1979
Original Images:

EVERY MEMBER GET A NEW MEMBER!

REASONS FOR JOINING THE YPSILANTI HISTORICAL SOCIETY

1. YOU help preserve the rich cultural heritage of the Ypsilanti area and identify with one of the show places of Ypsilanti—The Historical Museum

2. YOU become part of an interesting group dedicated to studying the past and looking toward the future. The fellowship of our meetings and programs is so worthwhile and rewarding.
3. YOU receive GLEANINGS, full of past scenes and old times, four times a year.

YPSILANTI HISTORICAL SOCIETY AND ARCHIVES 220 N. Huron, Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197 Telephone-482-4990

Active $5.00
Sustaining $10.00
Business $35.00

Washtenaw County Illustrated Atlas Advertisement

Published In:
Ypsilanti Gleanings, February 1981,
February 1981
Original Images:

A new hard bound reproduction of the 100 year old Washtenaw County illustrated Atlas by Everts & Stewart plus the 1915 Atlas and the 1895 Atlas, is a project of the Ypsilanti Historical Society. It is a project of interest to the entire Washtenaw County with the idea of preserving these fast disappearing books rather than any great profit. Now and then a person will say: “I have the 1874 Atlas but some of the pages are missing and several pictures have been cut out”. The yellowed pages of the old existing books are fragile and most bindings broken.

The new book includes every page from the old printings; the engravings of the handsome farms, business places, pictures of the early settlers as well as those who came later. An interesting book to own or as a gift to relatives or friends.

Added to this handsome 11 × 14 volume are the fascinating Birdseye Views of Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Manchester, Saline and Ypsilanti.

The books sell for the prepuplication price of $30.00, $1.20 sales tax and $2.00 shipping charge. After March 20th, the price advances to $40.00, plus tax $1.40 and $2.00 shipping charge.





Ypsilanti Historical Society's 2nd Annual Antique Show and Sale

Published In:
Ypsilanti Gleanings, April 1981,
April 1981
Original Images:

August 29th and 30th

In conjunction with the Ypsilanti Yesteryear Heritage Festival our Annual Fund Raising Project will be held at the old Ypsilanti High School Gym (Community Education Building) at 210 West Cross Street in Ypsilanti.

In your annual Spring Cleaning, please keep in mind we will be very happy to sell your antique items at our booth for a 25% Commission...OR to accept your gift to the Society and profit 100% from your generosity and support!

Gifts accepted anytime!!! Articles for consignment sale accepted from 6 am on the day of the sale.

For more information or early donation pickup please feel free to call
Kathryn and LaVerne Howard 482-7081
Herb and Grace Cornish 482-2108
Dr. Bill Edmunds 482-5218

We will again this year be asking for your help at the Museum and at the Antique Show and Sale as the time approaches. It's an exciting time for Ypsilanti...plan to be part of it!

Syndicate content